Friday, October 09, 2009

Shot Preparation

Sometimes you can never do enough planning!  So I find out that the steam locomotive Tangmere is passing nearby, I find out what time it leaves Bath, check Google Maps for the route, scout for a location with potential, check the weather is going to stay good.  
I leave work early, get to the location as early as I can, pick my shot with time ticking, set all my settings and take some practice shots to check exposure.
Little commuter trains potter past at 5mph, all is set..
Waiting.  The sound of the water crashing is noisy.. will I hear it coming?
Maybe I should have picked a more open spot, to see it coming?
The sun is creeping up the riverside as it starts to set, should I have picked a more west facing location?
Then I feel it... the ground starts to rumble...
120 tonnes of steel and thunder charges past and is gone, leaving just the smell of burning coal and a distant whistle.
So much for my silly assumption that it would be creeping through the town like the modern commuters!  I leave with 3 blurry shots of it racing past (even at ISO 400 because of the fading sunlight).  Still, lesson learnt, a nice shot that will remind me of the moment...

No comments: