Sunday, January 02, 2011

Winter Birds 3


The third shot is another Robin, this time searching the undergrowth of leaves, ivy and snow.
The skies were heavy with fog, not ideal lighting this time, but not a bad shot.

220mm, 1/400s, f/5, ISO1250, noise reduction

You might notice I've been shooting quite a few of these using auto-ISO (from the 200 and 1250 settings that aren't in the default manual ISO selections). I've found that generally it works really well on the 50D usually picking an ISO setting that allows me to concentrate on the other settings (focal length, aperture, shutter speed). I only really set it manually when I'm either requiring a higher than normal shutter speed to freeze movement or I have the camera stabilised on the tripod or a handy fence or post etc. Of course I still need to keep an eye on it and lower is always better, but with the quality of noise reduction software these days I find myself worrying about it much less lately. It's still nice to know I have the knowledge to judge which ISO I should be using if I need to though!

No comments: