Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Return

 
Can you believe it, it's a new blog post!  Rumours that I gave up photography for lent can now be quashed and these are my favourite excuses for why I've not posted in near 3 months:
 
1.  Thailand overload - I spent 3 weeks motorcycling around northern Thailand, complete with (thoroughly insured) 5D3 and lenses.  A truly amazing place that it is very easy to take lots of photos and catch irritating diseases from - like a chronic inability to process so many photos in Lightroom!
 
2.  Darkness and garden renovation - early nights (back in feb/march at least) and weekends full of filling skips with junk, rock, bricks and earth - all in the final aim to make my garden photogenic, insect friendly, frog friendly and bird friendly - or as friendly as the cat allows anyway.
 
3.  Marathon training!  Possibly the only valid excuse - I am just a week away from my attempt on the famous London Marathon!  I am certainly built more for sitting at a computer than I am for running, but life is too short to not at least mix things up a bit, so I've been running 4-5 times a week (upto 18 miles) over the last 4 months.  This un-doubtably gets in the way of things, but it's also for a great cause, so if by some remote chance you're reading this and want to support my chosen charity I would be very appreciative: 
 
 
Right.  To counter that I have three reasons why I hope to start posting regularly again soon:
 
1.  I have hundreds of Thailand photos, some of which I like, which I will be sharing soon, along with some background info and stories to go along with them.
 
2.  Lighter evenings are officially here!  Hurrah!  I have a car and a motorcycle that are currently (touch wood) working.  I'm photographing another wedding over the May bank holiday in a lovely location - which I will post highlights of permission pending. 
 
3.  I may have bought a new lens too!  That has got to be my first in a long, long time - at least 7-8 years by my reckoning.   o.O   I now have the pleasure of attaching a Canon 135mm f/2 L lens to my 5D3, specifically for wedding and portrait shots.  First impressions are that it's just as great as the reputation that precedes it.  The three photos attached were taken with it and left large than usual for some ideas of the sharpness, bokeh and DoF etc.
 
 
 
ISO100, 135mm, f/2, 1/2000s, fill flash (full power, high speed)
Fill flash held at arms length to right and forward.  With the fixed focal length and a minimum focal distance of nearly 2 meters, it's tricky to hold flash close enough - especially when your usual off camera flash holding assistant is standing in as the model!

ISO100, 135mm, f/2, 1/6400s (!!!), -1.7ev
Crazy shutter speeds compared to my sluggish 16-35mm f/2.8!  haha

ISO800, 135mm, f/2, 1/125s, -1ev
Taken in a dark back room of the church we were nosing around I finally managed to make the ISO rise.


No comments: