Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pain and Suffering

I hurt a muscle under my rib cage Thursday (an intercostal strain no less), so what better place to relax and recover than the river bank on a sunny day! With no small amount of effort to get there carrying my camera, tripod and some supplies I set up a secluded surveillance spot for project KFC. I've not been down the river for a while, so was more for research than setting up for a staged shot. Turned out pretty good, spotted lots of movement and one potential hotspot that I will return to when I get time and the rain subsides. This was my best shot of the day, slightly plagued by high ISO (ISO 1600 /w noise reduced using Neat Image Pro), long zoom (400mm + 1.6 tele-converter) and hurting ribs (this was off to one side, shot hand held) ..



Was nice to see lots of wildlife over the weekend too. Happy days for aerial predators it appears..
I saw a dragonfly catch a butterfly in mid-air, carry it around its territory then land and eat it.
Watched a pair of Kestrels dog-fighting with a Buzzard, the swooping falcon against the soaring Buzzard, performing flips to reveal its talons with each approach.
Lastly, wandering through the riverside woods I watched a small bird fly up in front of me, then a soaring, sparrowhawk swoop down and grab it straight out of the sky and carry it off between the trees. Just feet away from me it was a spine tingling moment. (I snapped some pics of the sparrowhawk a couple of weeks ago, can't remember if I blogged it though..)

No comments: