Thursday, June 30, 2011

More macro colour..

ISO400, 105mm, 1/2500s, f/4, -2/3ev, noise reduction

Wearing out my macro lens this summer! Three more shots from photos taken in this weeks lunchbreaks, just trying to hone my attention to composition, clean backgrounds, sharp focus and aperture. Not an ideal ISO setting on this first shot, I guess I was flitting between in-flight shots, but happy with the composition, pose, background and aperture.

ISO800, 105mm, 1/800s, f/8, -1ev, cropped (from portrait), noise reduction

Been avoiding bees a bit this year since they're everywhere and I've done quite a few in the past, but pleased with this shot since I successfully predicted it's next destination, set suitable settings and took just one frame in the space of a couple of seconds.
The thistle was well away from any background distractions, so f/8 turned out nice (I pre-focussed on the thistle), with the fast shutter speed freezing the bees motion, but still blurring the wings and a -1ev exposure compensation (pattern metering) as I was shooting into bright Sun.

ISO400, 105mm, 1/2000s, f/5, -1ev, noise reduction

Another thistle, another Skipper. Amazing to see the colour difference between the thistles in these shots, I'm not sure if they're different species or just gain colour as they mature?
As before, trying to keep that background clean and/or nicely blurred and let the amazing colours, patterns and textures of nature do the rest.

2 comments:

John said...

Really like the bee shot mate, great sharpness and klike the motion in the wings :)

Dave F Barker said...

Hi

Love #1 the common Blue Butterfly, their fab colours, all the pictures have great DOF, dont you just love macro :)