Sunday, March 24, 2013

Snow Birds

 
I have a pet hate of weather forecasters describing cold or rainy conditions as miserable.  I love the rain and the variety of British weather, however, that's not going to stop me rolling it out as an excuse for not posting in two weeks.  This year I find myself wishing for some lighter nights, warmer weather and the odd opportunity to get down with my macro lens without getting covered in mud!  Maybe this is the beginning of my transition into middle aged photographer!?!
 
Anyway, I seemed to be stacking up a range of bird photos I am undecided about blogging.  Partly due to their reliance on the snow to elevate them, despite poor light and weak backgrounds etc.  So here they are as part of a snow-bird post.
 
The first is a common Robin, usually on a snowy tree stump is good enough for me, but the messy background is a big issue here.  Unfortunately I had my teleconverter mounted at the time, so f/8 was my minimum aperture, so the background wasn't as blurred as it could have been.
 
Second is a slightly less common Fieldfare, only visiting the UK over the winter.  Shooting into a bright sky meant I had to ramp up exposure compensation and ended up getting fairly close before its instinct to flee overrode its curiosity of me creeping towards it. 
 
The last two are Reed Buntings and probably the better photographs from a technical and composition point of view, even if they were at high ISO, +1ev compensation and the teleconverter mounted.
 
 
 




No comments: